Takeda Shrine was founded in 1919, in dedication to the famous Kai province military commander, Takeda Shingen.
Formerly, the Takeda clan had resided at ‘Tsutsujigasaki’ (a fortified residence, now largely fallen to ruins) where for three generations (63 years) the clan held sway, despite Japan’s political unrest at the time. The remains of Tsutsujigasaki are now a designated National Historic Site.
As well as being a military commander, Takeda Shingen was also a famous ‘daimyo’ (feudal Lord), and so it is no surprise that Tsutsujigasaki was the largest of its kind across the whole of Japan.
Some of the ruins even remain intact, with the moat, stone walls and an old well remaining to this day, giving visitors a feel for how the residence would have appeared at the time it was built.
A huge variety of trees can also be seen according to each season, which were donated to Tsutsujigasaki from various parts of the prefecture, at the time of Takeda Shrine’s establishment. ‘Three leaf pine’ – rare in Japan due to the fact that its fallen leaves are golden, not red – can be seen among the grounds, and is said to bestow fortune on those who touch its leaves.
‘Takeda O-kami sama’ (the name for Takeda Shingen after his deification), is not only the guardian deity of the Kai province, however, but is also associated with ‘sho-un’ – ‘luck at winning’, for both individuals and on a broader scale. He also came to be worshipped as a god of industry and economics in general, having formerly been limited to agriculture, trade and manufacturing, and so is commonly prayed to by those whose work involves politics or state affairs.
AddressKofu city, Kofuchu-machi, 2611
AccessAbout a 30 minute walk or 10 minute bus journey from Kofu station (north gate) ・ Alight at Takeda Jinja ※Information correct as of July 2016
NoteTourist Information： http://www.city.kofu.yamanashi
This article is reprinted from JAPAN TIMELINE